Tuesday, November 11, 2008

the event of the century

Full disclosure: I just came from a client dinner, and I'm slightly inebriated. But can you blame me? When faced with a full dining room of people from all over the world that you don't know but are supposed to entertain, what would you do? Anyway...

I can't wait until January 20. I am so friggin' excited, I can hardly stand it. Not just because that's the day when I can stop speaking with a Canadian accent when I leave the country, but because I've decided that I need to be there and I actually found a hotel! Yes, it's in Richmond. A few hours away from D.C.. But does the monotonous drive in a horribly overpriced Yugo in the middle of winter really matter in the scheme of such an historic event?

I never explained the name of this blog and now might be a good time. Pangea, as most of you know, was the blob of land on the earth before the continents split apart. My hope for the future and for our generation is that we can work to bring the people of the various continents closer together through cross-cultural understanding, education, and community volunteerism. To me, Obama's background in community organizing (yes - the same background that Guiliani and Palin mocked and threw out as red meat at the Republican convention) and his success in mobilizing grassroots support from all over the world gives me hope that the next generation will grow up with volunteerism as a core value.

So, does anyone have tickets to the inauguration? If so, I've got a pull-out couch in a killer Comfort Inn in Richmond with your name on it...

No comments: