Sunday, March 29, 2009

A new start

I was somewhat shocked to see that it had been January when I wrote my last post. However, it's not a huge surprise since there's been a lot of change in my life.

In January, I left my old organization for a new job at PetSmart. Anyone who knows me (or has read any of my past blogs!) knows that animals have always been a passion of mine since I was very young, and this position seemed like a good choice. After my first month and a half, I am so pleased with my new role working for an organization that is not only high-functioning, but also one that has a heart.

PetSmart truly cares about its pet parent customers. And at the founding of PetSmart in the early '90s, the decision was made to NOT sell dogs or cats, but to found a charity arm that helps find adoptable pets new homes. This arm is called PetSmart Charities and it is a free-standing 501c3 organization that partners with adoption organizations across the country to place homeless pets with good homes. Not only does PetSmart Charities run in-store adoptions, but they also contribute millions of dollars to partner organizations each year, they transport dogs across country to regions where they have a higher likelihood of getting adopted, and they provide emergency rescue assistance and supplies for disasters - like the Fargo floods this week. PetSmart Charities is responsible for over 3 million pet adoptions since its founding, and they hope to reach 4 million before the end of this year. Check out their website at www.petsmartcharities.org.

Especially in this miserable economy, I feel so fortunate to have aligned myself with such a dedicated, well-run organization that supports my passion.

I wish you all success for the rest of 2009.

No comments: